Monday, April 5, 2010

Red eggs and bread

I love special occasions and the traditions that accompany them. I am particularly fond of anything involving baking ... or just food in general. I have to admit to a child-like excitement at the mere thought of celebrations like Christmas and Easter. I love the anticipation of preparing dishes that you only eat once a year, and having an excuse to make decorations.

Here is a collection of things that made me smile this Easter. I hope they make you smile too!



Red-egg bread from Nick's Cake Shop in Brighton-Le-Sands.
This plaited bread is called 'kozenjak' in Macedonian and is part of the Orthodox Easter tradition (my partner's family is Macedonian and he introduced me to this delicious bread, a tradition which I have embraced whole-heartedly (and open-mouthed!).



Red eggs!
Another Macedonian Easter tradition. You start Easter morning by breaking eggs with one another, with the winner (whose egg remains unbroken) winning all the red eggs. I was not the winner, but luckily for me, I was allowed an egg anyway!




Delicious 'petulici'.
Made of thin, soft, savory crepe-like layers (up to 25 layers), with salty-soft fetta in between. Amazing. I can take no credit for this dish - I just ate it. It is the specialty of my partner's mother, and it is a delight.



Not edible, but no less delightful!
I encountered these lovelies at a children's animal farm and couldn't resist a cuddle.



Adorable and amazingly resilient!
They were picked up, squeezed, and cooed over by hundreds of kids (and me) and were still chirpy!



I hope you all had a lovely Easter and
I am already looking forward to next year!


(Photos taken by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment